I have labeled the blogs with video as vid so if you just wanna see those click here -> vid.

Sunday, May 27, 2007

Fantasia Fantasia Fantasia

Holy crap talk about a busy day, oh man today was a busy busy day. We started out early and went to breakfast at this little shop right next to our hotel. By the way we got really really lucky with the hotel. We stayed at the Hotel Grand Union (www.hotelgrandunion.com) right down in Manhattan. It was a great value and it was clean and the location was prime. I am going to do a blog and give some advice about NY and booking travel in general later.

So after breakfast we got started. We walked and went to the Empire State building which was two blocks away. We decided not to go up since there was a long wait and we didn't want to be late for the play, but we did go inside and see the main hall.

Next we were going to take a train or bus down to ground zero. We walked down toward the New York Penn Station and like most women my mom and Lee got completely distracted by the purse salesmen. There were several of them all around and I had successfully bypassed them, but somehow, right as we were approaching Penn Station they got away from me. Next thing I know they got two purses each.

When we finally finished we headed to Penn Station, we walked around down there for a bit and just took in the sites. I decided not to cut it close on time and just head back to the hotel and have us get ready for the play, so we did.

Lastnight we walked all the way to the Broadway Theatre so we knew exactly where it was and how far. Now of course you know we were looking nice and didn't want to walk all that way so we took a cab. Now up until this point I had them thinking we were going to be sitting up in the mezzanine or the rear mezzanine. Even after we got the tickets I still didn't tell them, I kinda pretended like we were gonna go upstairs. In actuality I got us seats on the second row, which surprised my mom so much I thought she was gonna have a heart attack.

Now the play that we went to see of course was "The Color Purple the Musical" starring Fantasia Barrino.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
For those of you who know her and have followed her even a little bit you know she has got a voice. Well Fantasia did not disappoint, nor did anyone in the cast. I was utterly amazing and completely engrossing. The performances were just perfect, just perfect. Fantasia, played Miss Cellie and one of the songs just about made everyone in the theatre cry. Yes, I will admit I did. But I have to admit I was blown away by Fantasia, having no formal acting background, she more than held her own, she made her presence felt. The writer of the play captured all the moments from the movie we love and remember and even went a little deeper into the novel. It was great, it was 100% worth the trip.

No comments: